Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Goofy Human Nature.


While I was waiting for the train to NYC this morning. I witnessed something that I have before but today it struck me as very funny.

My train was schedule to leave at 5:52am and I was at the station around 5:20, along with some other people that were going to be on the same train I was based on where they were sitting in the train station. So for about 20 min. most of the people are sitting on one of the benches, reading the paper, working on computer or just relaxing.

Then it happens! What is the "it" you say, the "it" is the first goof ball to go stand in line waiting to go down to the platform. Well after "it" goes to get in line (here comes the goofy human nature) every other "it" has to go get in line behind him. Like good little lemmings the flood gates have opened and everyone now feels like they have to jockey for position to get in line.

So I bet you are wondering if I went and got in line. NO, I will admit the first few times I did however after making this trip as many times as I have you learn you don't have to. Then the conductor comes and opens the rope to let people start to go down and the Lemming line starts to work its way forward. But hey they open up the whole stair well for everyone to walk down. What a novel concept I don't have to stand in line.

While the 50-60 people or so are in line. I am still sitting on one of the benches and wait for them to open the whole stairwell. I would say that I was one of the first 10 people down to the platform. You know that there was someone in line thinking "hey what is he doing, I got in line".

Now I bet all of us at one time or another have gotten in line with all the lemmings. But maybe this will make you think why the heck am I doing that. Now if we are talking Southwest Airlines that is another story. I will beat people up to get on the plane first so that I don't get stuck sitting between two 300 lbs. guys. We all now that if you are last on SWA you will be in a middle seat.

Anyway, watch for goofy human nature through out your day, you will probably get a good laugh out of it, even if you are part of it.

1 comment:

Angel at Aduladi' said...

I have been said lemming (although not in that same situation). I learned quite early that it is more fun to sit back and watch the lemmings instead of joining them.