Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Hazzards of Spelling !

OK, Have I got you wondering by the title, what possibly could be hazardous about spelling. Well I thought the same thing until today.

KZ is going through the Hooked on Phonics reading program and as you step through all the books every so often you get to a part that you have to spell words that you are learning using letter cards that are in the kit. So we get to this part of the book and have been on this part of the one book for that last few days reviewing. KZ has had some trouble at this part and we continue to practice until he gets it right. The words that he has been learning are all start with Sh, Th, Wh, and Ch.

Moving on here, we get the cards and start stepping through all the words that the book wants him to spell. Today compared to the other days he is doing very well and getting the words in just a few tries. Then we come across the word "SHOT". This is where it starts to get funny. He sounds the word out and get the S and the H right, but instead of and O he thought that it was spelled with and I and a T. Yes, that is right my son is already spelling swear words. I looked at it and had a hard time not laughing. KZ noticed that I was having a problem and asked me what was so funny. Not trying to kill the great progress I told him nothing and said that he had one of the letters wrong and had to make a change. So he looks at the word that he just spelled and pronounces it wrong a few times and then by golly he actually says the swear word correctly! Now this is where I really almost loose it altogether. I kept my composure and never told him what the word was or meant and he made the change necessary to make the word right. So we dodged a bullet this time. I am sure one of the two princesses may make the same mistake, but next time I will be prepared that the mistake may occur.

Lets hope he does not have to spell DUCK any time in the near future.

No comments: