Saturday, October 28, 2006

EVOC in the BRT

So I have been a member of a fire department for the last 2 years and I am just now starting to drive the BRT. Mrs. Clean is not as happy about it as I am. But she has been a trooper through the whole thing. So what is EVOC you ask, it stands for Emergency Vehicle Operations Class. In other words how to keep the BRT from looking like this. So today, I got to sit in class all day and here horror stories of drivers that had accidents, and ultimately why I would not ever want to drive the BRT. Because in our sue your pants off society, you will be at fault if any one runs into you even when you have come to a complete stop and then slowly go through an intersection. And if that happens I will then have no money and may end up like this. But one thing I know is that no matter what happens when I am driving that God is good and will be watching out for me and everyone that I may come in contact with. Maybe contact was not the right word when talking about driving and crashing. So if you see me on the road in the BRT or anyone else on the road in any town in the USA in the BRT trying to get to an emergency please move to the right and let us pass. And if my small little plea does not convince you to move. Think about this, our tower truck weighs 80,000 pounds, your car if your lucky is about 2,000-3000 pounds. Even if the driver of the fire truck is at fault and you and he have a collision who do you think would win the collision? And if your car looked like that would it really matter who was at fault. Maybe to the surviving family members and the courts but most likely not to you.

Tomorrow, the driving portion of class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As someone who wants the fire department to arrive quickly should I ever need them, I get out of the way when I see them since they are on the way to someone else's home - and I hate that horn blast they have on their trucks.

As Kyle's mother-in-law, if you live in the area where Kyle's fire station is located, know you are in safe hands.